Saturday, March 7, 2015

Quick and Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken with a Bit of Kick

It's lunchtime. I'm starving. I'm writing about food. And I have half of a boneless, skinless chicken breast thawing. I don't want to take forever making lunch, but I want something that will satisfy.

What to do?

Oh, I'm glad you asked!

Here is what I did:
Sweet and Sour Chicken--Yum!

Sweet and Sour Chicken with a Bit of Kick

(Serves 2 easily, but double the recipe to serve 4-5)

1/2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 T. olive oil
1 celery rib, diced
1/2 small onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced (optional)
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
several good shakes of hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 T. catsup
1/3 cup cold water
2 T. corn starch
cooked rice

Heat the olive oil and brown the chicken, celery, onion, and bell pepper if using. Reduce heat and add the garlic, hot red pepper, honey, soy sauce, and catsup. Cover and simmer on low while you cook the rice. A few minutes before serving, remove cover and increase heat a bit. Mix together the cold water and cornstarch and add to the chicken mixture, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and come to a light boil. Remove from heat and keep hot until ready to serve. Ladle it on top of the cooked rice.

I never keep water chestnuts around, but I'll bet it would be delicious to add some. For that matter, you can add anything that sounds good to you. Cook's choice!

Hope you give this a try. I think you and your family will enjoy it!

Blessings and happy eating,
Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment