Friday, March 6, 2015

Cup-at-a-Time Hot Chocolate from Your Food Stash

Do you keep a food stash in your pantry "just in case?" I do, and I use and rotate my stash regularly. Several evenings ago I got the urge for a cup of my homemade hot chocolate (that uses several of my shelf-stable stash items such as dry milk powder and cocoa powder). Here's the post for the big batch recipe if you would like that:
http://georgiaplainandsimple.blogspot.com/2014/01/homemade-hot-chocolate-mixagain.html

But as it happened, I had used up my latest batch and I was too lazy to whip up another batch. (It was the end of a long and tiring day.) So I decided to make just one cup. I figured I could mix ingredients and simply taste until I got it good enough. But lo and behold, I hit the mark on my first attempt. And so I'll now share that with you.

Cup-at-a-Time Hot Chocolate

6 teaspoons powdered milk (I measured in teaspoons, but that's probably around 2 rounded tablespoons)
1 slightly teaspoon each granulated sugar, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder
about 6 grains salt (optional, but I always think a smidge of salt brightens flavors)
about 8 ounces of boiling or near boiling water

Measure ingredients into a mug:

Add boiling water and stir well to mix:
Drink as is, or top with whipped cream:


Yum!

This is a good recipe to have on hand if you don't have many hot chocolate drinkers in your house, or you just want a cup every once in awhile. But if you like a steady diet of hot chocolate (especially during the cold winter months), mixing up a big batch is definitely the way to go.

Enjoy! And try to stay warm. Summer will eventually get here.

Blessings to you and yours,
Georgia




No comments:

Post a Comment