Monday, May 25, 2015

Oven Baked Spareribs

The recipe I'm going to share today has been in my family for at least 40 years. It's easy and pretty much hassle-free. The taste isn't like the usual barbeque sauce spareribs, and I think it makes for a tasty change of pace. Plus, because it's completely done in the oven, you can make these ribs in the middle of winter. Served with homemade potato salad, it's a little bit of summer's best anytime of the year!

Oven-Baked Spareribs

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cu sugar
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 pinch ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
6 lbs. meaty spareribs, cut into individual ribs

Combine all ingredients for sauce and let stand for several hours. I usually make this in the morning and keep it on the kitchen counter, stirring every so often. You want allow enough time for the sugar to dissolve and the flavors to meld.

Using your largest roaster or two smaller ones (not ideal), place the ribs in a roaster and bake, uncovered, in a 375-degree oven until just done (approximately 1 1/2 hours). Pour off all but 1/4 cup of the drippings, and then baste with the sauce. Baste frequently. Ribs are done when sauce becomes sticky.

Note: The basting part takes some time. I use a pastry brush and turn my ribs over to get both sides. And I'll confess also that I've been known to use a spoon to add my sauce. When I do, I make sure to also baste from the pan drippings/sauce in the bottom of the roaster. I've found that by doing this, the time it takes to do the basting and for the sauce to thicken takes less time.

I'm sharing this on Memorial Day weekend. This is the holiday where we often gather with friends and family for one of the season's first barbeques. Time spent with loved ones is always to be treasured, don't you agree? I do so hope that when you gather, you all take some time to thank God for those courageous men and women who have suffered or died for our freedoms. And pray for all the families that have an empty seat at the table because of these heroes. They, too, have sacrificed much for all Americans and I, for one, am grateful.

Blessings to you and yours on this Memorial Day weekend!
Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment