Saturday, February 7, 2015

Don't Say Yuck Before You Try It--Tofu Enchiladas Are Surprisingly Delicious!

Let me cut right to the chase. You don't need to like tofu to like the recipe I'm about to share with you.

Oddly enough, I ate this as a kid (which was way before most people had even heard of tofu), and I loved it. Still do. And I'm quite serious when I say that you'll love it too. I have made this recipe for unsuspecting guests and served it up without telling them what was in it, and they always liked it. But I'm not slow-witted, so I always waited until their plates were empty before I spilled the beans. (Soy beans, that it!)

You can make this dish two ways: either fry the corn tortillas individually and roll them around the filling, or lay the tortillas in a casserole and make layers. Mama always made the fry-and-roll version, but I make mine like a layered casserole so I save on the oil it takes to fry. It doesn't take away from the flavor at all, and I figure it's healthier for me in the long run.

Here's the recipe:

Tofu Enchiladas

1 small onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt
1/2-1 tsp. cumin
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 block tofu, drained (I use firm)
corn tortillas (about 6-8)
1 small can green chili salsa or salsa verde
1 can tomato sauce
Cheddar cheese, shredded (approx.1/2-3/4 cup)

Sauté onion and garlic in small amount of butter or oil. Season with salt, cumin, and soy sauce. Add diced or slightly mashed block of tofu. Heat through a few minutes but don't overcook.


For Sauce: Heat together the salsa and tomato sauce.

Fry tortillas in oil, but don't make them hard--they must be limp in order to roll. Fill with tofu mixture and roll up. Place them in a baking dish, pour tomato sauce mixture over enchiladas, top with shredded cheese and place in 350 degree oven until thoroughly heated and cheese has melted.

Or do what I do: Spoon a bit of tomato sauce mixture in bottom of a baking dish. Add a layer of tortillas, all of the tofu mixture, a bit of the cheese, and then another layer of tortillas. Pour tomato sauce mixture over the top and add the remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is bubbly.

Yum!
Don't be shy about trying these. They are an interesting and incredibly tasty combination of flavors that work well together. And do like I do--don't tell your family or friends what it is until they've licked their plates clean and proclaimed you a fantastic cook!

Blessings to you and yours and happy cooking,

Georgia






No comments:

Post a Comment