Saturday, March 22, 2014

Asian Dipping Sauce

It all started at Costco. In my wanderings I came across this:



 
 
For some reason, this jar of seasoning called to me so I bought it. I thought it would be good to try on vegetables and salads., but then I passed this:
 
 

 
 
(Costco is a dangerous place!)
 
Suddenly it all became clear to me: I would buy the seasoning and the wontons and go home and eat.But when I got home I realized I needed dipping sauce because the seasoning alone wouldn't cut it for me. So here is what I concocted:
 

Oh my goodness, it was great! Following is the recipe for the dipping sauce. But before I list the ingredients, let me also say that it would make an excellent marinade for chicken or shrimp, and would probably also be great as a salad dressing for a tossed green salad with an Asian flair. You could mix together salad greens, a can of (drained) mandarin oranges, chopped green onions, almonds, and maybe some crunchy Chinese noodles (or smash a package of ramen noodles and add those).

Oriental Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1/8 cup vinegar (use regular white or rice wine vinegar)
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar, to suit your taste (I like mine on the sweet side)
1 tablespoon sesame oil (use regular vegetable oil to substitute if you don't have sesame oil)
1 teaspoon Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic Seasoning

If you don't have the Simply Asia seasoning, mix up the other ingredients and throw in a bit of ground ginger, garlic, and sesame seeds for a reasonable facsimile.

This sauce/marinade is so easy to whip together. You're sure to like it!

Well, the spring sunshine is calling to me so I'll wrap this up. Gotta get outside and enjoy the weather!

May God richly bless you. And if life is difficult for you right now, remember that--just like the promise of our spring weather--better days are ahead.

In the meanwhile, do your best to "walk cheerfully over all the world, answering that of God in every one" (George Foxe).

Blessings,
Georgia
 

No comments:

Post a Comment