Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cheater's Monkey Bread

This morning I decided that I wanted something sweet and decadent...not my usual style for breakfast. But I couldn't get the thought of sweet and gooey out of my mind. And to top it off, I wasn't in the mood to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, but I did want to eat.

What to do?

Well, I decided to make a sort of cheater's monkey bread. It turned out so good that I want to share it with y'all. So here's what I did:

First of all, I turned on my oven to 350 degrees to let it preheat. Next, I took my largest pie plate (really, it's one I use when I make quiche, so it's a good 10 inches and a bit deeper, which I highly recommend so when the monkey bread bakes it doesn't bubble over--but just in case I put my largest cookie sheet on the rack below the pan to catch any drips...but there were none, thankfully) and greased the baking pan with shortening, using a light touch.

I broke open two tubes of biscuits--just the regular sized ones because that's what I had. I cut each of the biscuits into quarters. Next, I put about 1/2 cup of sugar and a large teaspoonful of cinnamon in a quart baggie and mixed them together. Then I added the quarter cuts of biscuits in batches and shook them so they were good and coated; I made sure to tear apart any that had stuck together so all surfaces were covered with the cinnamon sugar. When I took the biscuit pieces out of the baggie I tried to be "careless" so that plenty of the cinnamon sugar came with them and dropped them evenly into the baking pan.

Next, I took a stick of butter (1/2 cup) and melted it in the microwave in a quart bowl (really hot melted butter works better), and then added a cup of brown sugar and stirred it so the brown sugar sort of melted into the butter. I spooned it evenly over the top of the sugared biscuit pieces and baked it in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.

As soon as the monkey bread was done baking, I plated it by turning it over onto a serving platter so all the caramel was on top. I let it cool just a bit and then brought it over to one of my son's homes whereupon it was devoured my grownups and little ones alike. My two-year-old grandson loved the name (he thought it was hilarious we were "eating monkeys") and the rest of us just plain loved it.

This is such a quick and easy treat. It literally took me about 5 minutes to throw it all together. Here's a picture of what was left of my plate when I remembered to take a picture:

 
Yum! Give it a try. You could also add some pecans or walnuts, or maybe even raisins before you bake it. I imagine that would be good too. I ate my helping with a spoon, but the others ate theirs with their fingers. Either way works deliciously!
 
I pray that you and your loved ones are happy and well.
 
Enjoy!
Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment