Thursday, January 24, 2013

What the Amish Can Teach Us About the Simple Life

I have a new book coming out February 1. It's called What the Amish Can Teach Us About the Simple Life. Here's a picture of the book cover:



Chapters include Family First; Building Community; Housekeeping Tips; Backyard Gardening; Raising Backyard Livestock; Keeping Technology Where You Want It; Waste Not, Want Not; and Coming Home.

It's chock full of useful information, including recipes for lots of different products you can make instead of buy.

So in the spirit of do-it-yourself, here's a recipe for inexpensive homemade laundry soap:

1 bar Fels-Naptha or Ivory soap, finely grated (I whir mine in my Vitamix; you could try a blender or food processor)
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda (this is caustic so handle with care)

Mix everything together and store in an airtight container. I find that canning jars work great. Use about 2 tablespoons per load of laundry. When I use this soap I always add vinegar to the rinse water as it helps to remove all traces of soap residue and makes my clothes soft.

I'd love to hear what you and your family do to enjoy a plain and simple life--tips and pointers would be great!

Blessings to you and yours,
Georgia

2 comments:

  1. Georgia, I'm a Texas/Louisiana girl but am currently on a three month visit to WV. Yesterday I saw your book in a drugstore and bought it. Am loving the book. Went on Amazon and ordered three more copies for my grown children and for a nephew that teaches ppl how to get by on less and live more "green." I think they are all going to enjoy it.

    Also saw Nick Harrison's name in the dedication. Very nice man. I've met him many times at writer's conferences, especially Mount Hermon.

    I also went online and bought an E-version of your Amish Cookbook. Love what I've seen so far.

    Please keep me on a mailing list for any of your future work.

    Judy@judyvandiver.com

    Thanks. Keep Writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Judy!
    I'm so glad you're enjoying my books. I have a canning cookbook coming out July 1, which will release in the nick of time for canning season. :)

    Blessings to you and yours!
    Georgia

    P.S. - I'll bet you've got lots of wonderful recipes being a Southern gal! I've been experimenting with making masa from dried field (dent) corn, and my next attempt with them is going to be making hominy from scratch. Yum!

    ReplyDelete