Sunday, January 19, 2014

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix...Again!

About four months ago, I blogged this hot chocolate mix along with other homemade mixes (such as cakes and brownies). I fear it might have gotten lost in the shuffle. And since we are deep into the cold winter months--perfect hot chocolate drinking weather--I wanted to give it another go. But this time I'm adding photos to further entice you!

This first picture is my half-gallon canning jar that holds my mix. A batch of the hot chocolate just barely fits into the jar. In fact, I usually have to tap the jar on a folded towel on my counter to sort of settle the contents so I can get that last bit in. It's very full, but it works. The jar in this picture is only half full because I've been enjoying a cup in the evenings!




If you decide to make a batch for yourself, here's what you have to look forward to:




And if you are really on top of things, you have planned ahead and have some sweetened whipped cream to swirl on top:


Here's the recipe:

Hot Chocolate Mix

6 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup powdered sugar (generous)
1 cup regular sugar
1 cup unsweetened baking cocoa powder
dash of salt (I just take my salt shaker and give it a shake and call it good)

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

To use:
To 6 oz. hot water, add 3 tablespoons Hot Chocolate Mix. If you are using a mug, they usually hold more than 6 ounces. Mine do. So when I'm scooping out 3 tablespoons, I always make them heaping. Makes for a perfect cup! You can also use hot milk for an extra creamy cup of hot chocolate, but I'm too frugal to ever do that.

This is such an easy recipe, and it's quite inexpensive--it certainly costs less than buying prepackaged from the store.

Happy winter! Stay warm and stay safe, and may God richly bless you and yours,
Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment